No, not THAT March Madness… obviously!
Venture Madness is coming this March and will pit 64 startups from the Southwest region (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Southern California, and Texas) against one another in a collegiate basketball style matchup.
From their website:
This innovative competition pits 64 of the region’s most promising startups against each other in an exciting bracket-style, head-to-head competition. The companies that advance are based on a weighted average of votes from industry experts and the public.
Venture Madness culminates at an event March 5-7, 2014, at Talking Stick Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is here where 16 finalists will live-pitch their way through the brackets to win a share of $50,000 in cash prizes. Only one company will be crowned the 2014 Venture Madness Champion.
How It Works
- Application deadline: 3 p.m. January 10, 2014. Download the application here.
- A panel of judges made up of industry experts will review and score all applications from the open application pool.
- The top 32 companies be announced January 27, 2014.
- They will compete alongside 32 other companies that were selected from previous rounds of the Arizona Innovation Challenge. These 64 companies will be divided into four regions, each with 16 companies ranked from 1 to 16. Companies will not be grouped by industry type.
- VentureMadness.com will display seeded brackets showing the matchups in each region, updated after each elimination round. Viewers can click and view the competing companies’ 90-second pitch videos and review their full applications. The same pitch videos, descriptions and applications will be used throughout all online elimination rounds.
- In each region of the bracket, the No. 1 seed will compete against the No. 16 seed, the No. 2 seed will go up against the No. 15 seed, and so on.
How The Winner Is Chosen
- The first two elimination rounds will take place online at VentureMadness.com. The Venture Madness judges and the public will vote for favorites in each matchup, with the expert judges’ votes having a higher weight than cumulative votes from the public.
- At the end of the second online elimination round, 16 companies will be invited to compete live for the Venture Madness Champion title. The public may vote on the 16 finalists until March 6, when the live event begins.
- On March 6 and 7, the 16 finalists will make their pitches in front of a panel of judges and a live audience. The results of each round will be posted online, and only those attending the event may vote. You must attend the event to participate in the action!
Get all the details and apply to participate at http://venturemadness.com/